Saturday, January 11, 2014

Chopping it Off... Again

Looking back at the posts on TAL, I realize it was over three years ago that I chopped 11 inches of my hair to donate to Pantene Beautiful Lengths * (click on link).  Well, I did it again, this time 10 inches gone.  This is the third time I've donated my hair to Pantene.  This Organization makes wigs for women battling cancer and cannot afford to purchase a wig of their own.  It takes six ponytails of donated hair to make one wig, so every inch counts.

Before: My hair in October, 2013


After: New Cut and First and Only Selfie!

My chopped hair ready to be sent to Pantene

I've explained my reasons for doing this before, but it warrants saying it again.  My mother bravely fought against Stage 2 Breast Cancer when she was 36 years old.  I was 7 at the time.  I didn't fully comprehend how sick my mother was.  My mother showed such grace and strength during a time when  she was fighting for her life.  10 years after she was cancer free her doctor very bluntly told her, that she should not have survived her cancer.  I know how fortunate my family and I are to still have my crazy wonderful mother with us. 

I share this story with you to bring to light to the fact that I don't ever forget the struggle my mother experienced, and how all the time I've had with her since is not time I take for granted.  I donated my hair to honor my mom. I know that I am guilty of focusing on how my hair looks, and always wanting it to look great, but in chopping off 10 inches of my hair, I take a step back and realize that my hair doesn't define me.  
  
I hope that everyone will take a second to click on the above link and check out the organization. I know there are other organizations that make wigs for children. I think any donation of hair is a great thing, so if you are thinking about donating your hair, I would say pick whichever organization you want!!  

Love, 



*TAL and I are not receiving anything from this organization, but just really love the message that it sends to women and the Work they do.  


Questions? Comments? Ideas? Email us at theaccessorizedlife@gmail.com

1 comment: