Thursday, July 31, 2014

What I'm Obsessed With Now: Maxis

Yes. I know. I'm late to the "maxis" trend. But...before you judge, let me explain why. When the maxis first hit the scene, I'll be honest, I thought maxi dresses looked like nightgowns. True story. Then I saw someone wearing one. Secretly, I loved it. Publicly? Still called them nightgowns. (Feel free to shame me.) Despite the fact that I secretly loved maxis, I was afraid to try it. After all, I figured there was no way it could look good on someone like me...I'm 5'1" and petite. I figured I'd get lost in the maxi dress or that it would (as I originally thought) make me look like I was wearing a nightgown.

Then, last summer, I had an epiphany. I was at a wedding--the first one since my kids had been born. I couldn't fit into any of my dresses in my closet (I was SO VERY sad.) and had to borrow a dress. The dress I borrowed was floor length. I loved it. While I was at the wedding I thought to myself, "If I can pull off a floor length gown and not look ridiculous, why can't I pull of a maxi dress?" and so, I set myself to the task of finding a maxi dress. However, the summer season was drawing to a close and maxis were hard to come by.

Cue spring. As soon as the maxis hit the shelves, I was like a vulture stalking its prey. I voraciously searched for a maxi that would flatter me and not need yards of beautiful fabric cut from its hem. I first ordered a hi/lo from Nordstrom. The dress itself was lovely. However, it was so very, very unflattering on me.

Next, I bought a hi/lo dress from Old Navy--I bought this dress with a former student of mine. In the school where I teach, seniors get one day to take over their former teachers. She chose me and we got to the task of shopping together. This was the dress we found:
Super cute, right? But, while it fit great in the store, when I got it home, the top was a little hangy on me. Boo. Still wore it, still will wear it again (with a cami underneath). Still wasn't satisfied. So, I ordered a maxi skirt from the Gap.
To say I love it would be an understatement. Really. If I could wear it every day, I probably would. And, in fact, in the first two weeks that I owned it, I wore it no less than three times. Then, I bought another maxi skirt...then 3 more maxi dresses...then got another maxi dress for my birthday...then bought another maxi skirt (as Lauren has said before...I do nothing in moderation! If you aren't sure about that, just check out the posts about my belt obsession, jewelry obsession, tights obsession, or our most recent post about Lauren's organizing my massive jewelry collection!).

I love everything about this style...the comfort of the dresses and skirts, the fact that they are cool for summer and lend a little warmth (with a cute jean jacket or cardigan) for fall or spring, and the fact that they are universally flattering--you just need to find the style that works for you.

I found that the best dress style for me is one like this one from Nordstrom with a camisole top and flowy skirt (in fact, I bought two just like this and got one similar for my birthday!).
However, even if you feel you haven't found the right maxi fit yet, there are TONS of options out there. Don't get discouraged! This style is worth a little searching!










Questions? Comments? Ideas? Email us at theaccessorizedlife@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment