Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My Summer Bucket List

I'm a teacher, so summer is the most beautiful season of the year for me. However, summer has taken on a whole new meaning since having kids. Summer used to mean a well deserved two months of doing a whole lot of nothing...lounging in the pool, reading tons of books, meeting friends for lunches, dinners, and/or shopping, sleeping late and staying up late. But, now that I have kids, summer means becoming a stay at home mom for two months--no lounging in the pool for hours or sleeping late; no running out to meet friends or sitting on the couch and reading uninterrupted. So, as this summer gets started, I have decided to create a "bucket list" of things I hope to accomplish this summer.

1) READ BOOKS
I love to read. I used to consider myself an avid reader. Now, I read maybe 1 book in 3 months, and only if that book really holds my interest. So, my goal this summer is to try and read 10 books. That's one book a week. If I can do more than that, awesome. If not, well, that's to be expected. If I can't even hit my 10 book goal? I'll be super disappointed in myself and my summer vacation.

2) GET A TAN
Yeah, yeah. I know. Tanning is bad for your skin. I'll wear sunscreen. I promise. But, I like being tan. To me, that means a summer well lived. Last year, the summer ended and I was barely a shade darker than I was when the summer started. This year, my kids are a little older, affording me a little more freedom during their naptime. That means I should have at least one solid hour of being able to sit outside and enjoy the summer weather...and work on my tan. This will also be the time that I get to read my books!

3) MAKE "ME" TIME
I want to make sure I take the time to do things like meet friends for lunch or dinner. I want to make sure that I take time to go to the mall or Target or even the grocery store alone. I especially want to go to Atlantic City and get my yearly massage with one of my best friends in the world. In fact, for over a year now I have been saying that I want a night alone in a hotel--no husband, no kids, no friends. Just me. I don't even have to go anywhere far or interesting. I can stay in the hotel right down the street. I just want a good night of quiet sleep with nothing to do but what I bring with me (read, knit) and no one to talk to--the ultimate me time. I have to remember that I have someone to watch my kids...I should take advantage of that.

4) CRAFT
I love to knit. I love to be creative. But, I don't seem to have time to do either. That is why I have a sweater for my daughter that is 75% done sitting in my bedroom and a box full of magnets from all over the world that are longing to be displayed. So, on my agenda this summer is to first, complete that sweater. Then, to put my magnets in shadow boxes to display them. After that, work on projects for a friend and a family member who are having babies. Finally, I want to start making preemie caps for the NICU again this year. If I get an early start, hopefully I can donate more than I did last year!

5) MAKE MEMORIES
I know that most of this list seems like things for me, me and more me. It makes it seem like I don't want to spend time with my family or kids. Neither could be further from the truth. In fact, I want to take my kids to fun places--like a petting zoo, or the beach, or to the boardwalk to ride on rides. I want to swim with them, to do messy things like finger painting or play with the water table. I want to visit family and friends, and see the people who matter most to me...I just want to make sure I carve out some space for me time.

I work damn hard all year...don't I deserve it?










Questions? Comments? Ideas? Email us at theaccessorizedlife@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment