Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Black Bean Risotto

As I was cooking dinner for my family tonight, I was thinking about how much I love the meal I was making. Then I thought that if I love this meal so much, I should share it on TAL! And so...here it is.

Tonight, I made Black Bean Risotto. It's so good--everyone I've ever made it for has loved it! I found this recipe years ago on the Food Network website. I was on a risotto kick and was looking for some new innovative ways to prepare it.

Now, for those of you who are fearful of making risotto, don't be. I know you've heard that it's a lot of work, but it's actually quite simple. Take the arborio rice, put it in a pan with some butter and/or oil (I typically use a mix), heat it until it becomes a little opaque, slowly ladle in hot chicken broth (or any other hot liquid, like vegetable broth or a mixture of wine and something else so it's not too strong...I made that mistake once!)--I do 2 ladlefuls at at time--and stir until absorbed or mostly absorbed. It only takes about 4 cups of chicken broth (2 cans!) to make 1 cup of risotto...which will EASILY feed a family of 4. The trick to making good risotto is to stir...pretty much constantly. But, it only takes 15-20 minutes to complete, and, yes, it is ok to walk away from it once in a while! Plus, risotto is super versatile. You can throw just about anything in there and make a meal of it.

Here's tonight's recipe. I have tweaked it a little from the Food Network version, and find that I like mine better. I hope you enjoy it too!

All done and ready to eat!


Black Bean Risotto:
Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chopped jalapeno or a sprinkling of red pepper flakes
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup cooked black beans or 1 can black beans, drained (I typically use 1 can even though that's more than what the original recipe called for.)
1/2 cup chopped plum tomatoes (I often use 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained--again, more than what the original recipe calls for, but I like the extra heartiness and flavor.)
1 cup arborio rice
4 cups chicken broth, heated
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 tbsp butter (can substitute another tbsp olive oil)
Cheese for garnish (optional, but I love cheese...)
Chopped cooked chicken (optional, but I use it because without it, this dish feels more like a side than a meal)

Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil to a saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, jalapenos and onions and saute for about 3 to 4 minutes. (If you are using red pepper flakes, add them when you add the other spices, not here.) Do not brown. Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, beans and tomatoes (and the chicken if you are using it). Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until all ingredients are warm, then set aside.

Add the other tablespoon of olive oil and butter to a large pan and saute the arborio rice until warm and nearly opaque. Keep stirring and adding liquid to the rice, 2 to 3 ladlefuls at a time, until the rice is tender and no liquid broth remains in the pan. (There will be a creamy, whitish liquid in the pan.) The rice should be creamy.

Add the salt, pepper, and vegetable mixture (with chicken if using) to the arborio rice. Stir, garnish with cheese and serve.

My second helping...delish!


Enjoy!












Questions? Comments? Ideas? Email us at theaccessorizedlife@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. I made this recipe. Gave me the shits for two days afterwards. NO THANKS!

    ReplyDelete