Sunday, April 29, 2012

Leaving on a Jet Plane! March's Reader Challenge Winner!!



Traveling via airport can be such a drag nowadays, what with the travel restrictions on what liquids you can bring on a plane, or extra baggage fees which have been popping up at most airlines.  I had an airline charge me for bringing a carryon onto the Plane! (Yup, you did not read that wrong.. I will never be flying them again!)
Our February Reader posed the question to TAL... How to pack for a spring break vacation while still fitting all of my fashionista requirements (shoes, clothes, accessories and makeup) into a small bag since airlines charge so much for baggage these days.
Well, we are here to help!
First off, buy a great weekender bag/piece of luggage that you will be comfortable traipsing through an airport with and will easily fit in the overhead compartment of a plane.  I recently bought a great rollaway luggage from Marshall’s. I found that they were cheaper than Kohl’s and I don’t see the need in spending an exorbitant amount of money on luggage. I like to save my money for all the accessories/clothes I want to buy!  Also having the right size luggage means that you never have to say no to an impromptu vacation!  

My trusty wheeled luggage.  This baby has gone to Aruba and California!


This fits a lot of stuff and it expands!
Most airlines will let you bring one personal item (usually your purse) and one carry-on item (your luggage).  I like to bring one of my large purses which I stuff my Kindle, Iphone and liquid items into.  I always pack a clutch to use while on my weekend getaway. 
Next, I like to write lists!  Now you may be wondering what that has to do with packing, but I find that a list helps me figure out what I want to bring with me, depending on where I am going and what I’ll be doing while I am away.  I should note that after writing this list, I will go back and edit it, plus when i finally start pulling things out to pack, I will again edit what I bring. I will admit that I am an overpacker indeed... I’m working on it. I promise! Which is why editing and lists are an important part of the packing process for me! 
Ok.  Here comes the fun stuff, putting together outfits.  Don’t just pack a top, make sure you know what pant you will wear it with, all the way down to the accessories.  Make outfits for each day, this will help with those who tend to overpack... ahem... me. 

Shoes can be a difficult item to pack, make sure that the shoes you bring work for more than one outfit. You have a limited amount of space, so you need to be wise, I know that Budget won't be happy, but be selective on the shoes you bring.  Also wear your heaviest bulkiest shoes on the plane, it will free up space for other items.  
As for accessories, I always like options, but we can’t bring everything with us, so years ago I purchased a jewelry carry case, that I put my all my baubles in which I plan on wearing while away.  Remember to think of the outfits you are wearing and bring an extra option to go with that outfit. Also if you are planning on wearing that outfit during the day and night, a switch in earrings could transition the outfit perfectly!  

This jewelry case carries a lot of accessories, which is great because I own a lot!


It folds up nicely, so it doesn't take up a lot of space in your luggage!

As for makeup, I have a lot of makeup, so I'm not going to pack everything for a weekend getaway.  I have certain items that I use everyday, under eye concealer, mascara, lipgloss.  So they always travel with me.  But just like in jewelry cases and luggage, having a great travel makeup bag is essential!  I bring eyeshadows that can work for most outfits and try to limit what I bring.  Oh and don't forget your makeup brushes, I did that once and it was very difficult getting my makeup on.  Also your makeup does not constitute a liquid as per the lovely agents and the TSA, so you don't need to limit it to a sandwich size bag. (that doesn't mean you need to bring everything!!)

I hope these tips help you for your next weekend away!  We're always here to answer questions!!  So don't forget to write at theccessorizedlife@gmail.com.

Enjoy your next trip. 

~P

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment