Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chopping it All off for a Good Cause!





Yesterday I headed to my favorite hair lady, with Budget in tow, to get a new hairstyle. Actually, I’m headed there to chop off all of my hair. But there’s a reason for it...
For the past couple of years, give or take, I’ve been growing my hair out with the goal that at the end of it all, I would chop all the hair off and donate it. Well not all of it off, 11 inches. I’ve done it before. I mean it’s just hair. And I’ve been blessed with a lot of it.
But that’s not the real reason I do it. I donate my hair because of my mother. I remember being 7 seven sitting in our dining room as my parents explained to us kids that my mother had something called Breast Cancer. At 7, I don’t think I comprehended what that meant, and at that time the only famous person who had had breast cancer, that I knew of, was former first lady, Nancy Reagan. My mom said she would be fine, and I believed her.
It’ll be 24 years this coming January that my mother has been Cancer Free. I’m thankful for the strength of my mother in not giving up back then, and for her doctors who cared for her and listened to her. She took control of her body and her diagnosis and fought a hard battle. She had stage 2 breast cancer at 36... In 1986, women didn’t survive Stage 2 Cancer, they didn’t have half of the drugs they have now. But my mother survived. So truthfully, that is what I am most thankful for.
I donate my hair for my mother, who needed a wig and we could afford one. There are women out there who can’t afford a wig.
So if there is someone in your life affected by Cancer, or you just feel compelled to help, consider donating your hair. I’m pretty sure there is someone out there that could use it more than you can, and, don't worry, your hair will grow back. ;)

It's the best gift I can give to someone and you feel amazing after... trust me. Plus, you have a fabulous new look and really healthy hair!




No comments:

Post a Comment