Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Yeah, yeah. I know. I'm about two months late. But, I've been wanting to do this post for a while. However, I went back to work, and life got in the way.

But, the cause of raising money for ALS is one that is near and dear to my heart. I'll be honest. At first, I was skeptical about the ice bucket challenge. I was one of those naysayers who said "Why dump ice over your head? Wouldn't it do much more good if everyone just donated a dollar instead of dumping ice on their heads?" Then I read the statistics. I saw how much money was donated to als.org, and how much attention the disease was getting. This is a disease that flies under the radar. It's not profitable for drug companies. (Just like this guy, here, said. If you haven't seen his video, watch it.)

The fact is, ALS has hit my family hard. One of my mother's first cousins was stricken with the disease and passed away in 1998. Then, another of my mother's first cousins (who is like an aunt to me) was diagnosed a few years ago. Luckily, the treatments have progressed since then, and her disease is moving very slowly. But, there is still no cure.

So, as a family, in August, we did a group ice bucket challenge. (Lauren joined us!)
Lauren and me before the challenge!


The ice water for Lauren & me...ready to go!
So, even though this was two months ago, and I'm just getting around to posting it, I'm hoping that this will continue to help awareness of the disease to grow, and maybe, just maybe, it will keep the fundraising from falling into oblivion. Here's hoping they find a cure.

Enjoy the video of us taking the challenge...and, yes. I am the one in the shower cap!




Love,










Questions? Comments? Ideas? Email us at theaccessorizedlife@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment